Cerebral Pantsings 2: Electric What Dude?

in Humor

As part of S&W’s ongoing unveiling of truth and poetry in pop songs, we present the second mind-rattling meaning to the ‘happiest’ song of last year…

Pharrell Williams’ “Happy”: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Too High

Seeing as even your cat smokes ganja, I’m going to assume you know all about feeling like both everything is a revelation and everyone is a potential smoking buddy. This song is Pharrell Williams recording himself while in that exact same state of mind (or lack thereof).

It might seem crazy what I’m about to say

Sunshine she’s here, you can take a break

I’m a hot air balloon that could go to space

With the air, like I don’t care baby by the way

One thing I hate about being in the presence of anyone who has just done a massive amount of weed is that they’ll try to convince you of some universal truth they just became sole prophet of. In Feral’s (bugger off, I’m not typing that again) case, he starts off by trying to explain that we don’t need to create alternative energy, because the sun gives us all we need. He goes on further to explain how, exactly, we may acquire the sun’s help. It seems all we need to do is build a hot air balloon capable of flying through space. Now, I know you’re skeptical, but Feral says that the design is economical because it uses not hot air to travel, but pure, unbridled, steaming indifference in the line, “with the air, like I don’t care” (basically, smoke some weed). And yes, Feral, that does seem crazy, and there’s no way we would’ve figured that out without you providing the context, so thanks for that.

Because I’m happy

Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof

Because I’m happy

Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth

Because I’m happy

Clap along if you know what happiness is to you

Because I’m happy

Clap along if you feel like that’s what you wanna do

This one’s pretty self explanatory, but calm the frack down, I’ve already explained it: he’s WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Too High.

Here come bad news talking this and that, yeah,

Well, give me all you got, and don’t hold it back, yeah,

Well, I should probably warn you I’ll be just fine, yeah,

No offense to you, don’t waste your time

Here’s why

This pre-chorus stanza seems to highlight the fact that he’s so blazed, in fact, that literally nothing can bring his mood down. World hunger? Death in the family? Wars sprouting up like cannabis? Doesn’t bother him, he’s too focused on his space balloon (a.k.a. his “vaporizer bag”) to give a crap.

And the rest of the song is just Feral ranting on about how he’s too high to bring down. Did that bring your spirits up? We’re not sure!