Show Review: “The Importance of Being Ernest”

in Uncategorized/Culture

By, Cassondra Brayfield

The actors and director told me that they were very excited about putting on this show, and how their enthusiasm showed! Upon watching the beginning of the play, I was immediately reminded of the intensely wordy wordplay that is standard for Wilde. It took my ears time to get used to the length and musicality of the dialogue (much like getting used to reading iambic pentameter). Once the brilliant writing of Wilde sunk in and the splendid acting of our Players took off, I was submerged in this satirical upper class world created for me on the stage. I soon understood what the director had told me about this cast having perfect comedic timing. The facial expressions of the cast and the way they played off each other’s energy were both entertaining and memorable. The play itself was very fun to watch as the characters cleverly satired the stuffed shirt society of Wilde’s late 18th century. I laughed for the entire second half of the play as the ridiculous situations were played out ridiculously on the stage.

*Photos by Andrew Fasano

All of what the actors had learned—voice training classes, comedic timing, and manerisms—came together on stage. Though there were only nine characters in total, the plot was very well driven by them. The entire production was completely absurd, but the way the deeply theatrical writing of Wilde coincided with the over acting and melodrama of the cast from the start, I accepted this hilariously, overly pompous, universe and all its quirks. I found myself following the outlandish motives of the characters which only made the whole experience all the more shockingly comedic. I would say the show was great and definitely worth watching. It was nice to see a play with such historical meaning and by such a superb writer as Oscar Wilde. I would also say that the players did it justice. The dynamic acting of the characters Jack and Algernon (Bryce Miller and Luke Jones respectively) with their witty banter was priceless and the same can be said for Cecily and Gwendolyn (Emily Kosmaczewski and Rebecca Calvanico-Weinstein respectively) with their catty nonsense. The comical bickering and exaggerations was extremely entertaining. Not to mention the incredibly believable Lady Bracknell played by Robert Stewart; he really looked like an old woman! See it if you can. There are showings November 15th, 16th and 23rd at 8:00 pm and on November 17th at 2:00 pm.

A interview with the actors and directors about working on the play, getting into roles, and the life of an RPI player can be read in our printed issue !!!!! Coming soon!!!!